My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Itchin' for a new kitchen

What a day! Many of my clients cancelled or didn't show, so I got a lot of paperwork done today. You would think that since I am in the helping profession that my job would be mostly talking to people, but a good 50% of it or more is paperwork, so when people don't show up, then I got a lot of time to work on catching up on files.



Well that fun didn't last. I was the last one to leave the building, and when I got out to my van, it wouldn't start. The engine light went on last week, but I hadn't taken the time to contact a repair shop. This kind of decided it for me. I called Triple A, and within a half hour, had a tow truck there. Tomorrow I'll find out what is wrong with it and find out how much it will cost to repair. I live in dread. I am so glad I just renewed my AAA membership! I get my money's worth every year. Anyhow, when I arrived home sans mini-van, I had a nice suprise in my mailbox!



Nice fat, soft package! My eBay winnings were here! Wonder what's in there?
Valances for my kitchen! I love the Waverly Norfolk rose pattern. It's so country or shabby chic, and I love roses. There was an extra bit of red checkered material in there. I think I am going to cut it up and refabricate it to be long curtains to put in the little window on the door leading to the garage.
These are the current valances that I am going to replace. I don't hate the current ones, I just don't love them.
Ever since I moved here, I have wanted to re-do the kitchen. I don't have a lot of funds, but I can do things like painting. Below is my inspiration kitchen from berley_joy on Rate My Space. This is a picture of her dining room. What I like is that her table is very similar to mine, and I think the room is cute as can be. This is something that is doable in my kitchen. I love the green and found the exact color at Menards. Don't you just love all the touches of red and the creamy white furniture? I already have the chair covers.
Here is what my kitchen looks like now. Again, I don't hate it, I just don't love it. The green wallpaper is just too dark, and I find that I am always having to turn the lights on even during the day. I would like to lighten things up a bit! I don't even want to talk about the linoleum on the floors. I need some laminated wood floors in a pecan stain. Oh, and I used to have four lovely matching ladderback chairs. Now I am down to two. Let's just say that TEENAGE BOYS happened to them! Grrr!

I haven't decided if I am going to take down the border. I kind of like it, then some days, not so much. The sayings on it are pretty sweet. "Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always gives," and "The light that shines the farthest shines the brightest at home." Awww!
My dream is to paint the cabinets a creamy white. I love a clean country look in a kitchen. I think that a glaze over the top to antique them up a bit would be cute. The cabinets are pretty sturdy even though they were installed in the 1960s. I could do a lot to improve the looks of them.

I love these black knobs.
And these black drawer pulls. Maybe if I buy one of each every pay day, by fall I will have enough for the kitchen!

You don't even want to know what my counters look like. They are white with gold flecks in them...something straight out of the 60s. I have read about painting old countertops and may give this a try.



I don't know when I'll be able to get around to all of this, but I'm sure having fun dreaming about it! I've lived here a year and there are so many things I want to do, but for now, it will be just one thing at a time.

8 comments:

Betty Jo said...

Hi Kady, Thanks for dropping by and your sweet comment. Our nearest Joanne's is like three hours so I don't get over there much. I looked on line, they do have an online store, but didn't find the birdie. I'll continue to check around here for something similar. Your kitchen plans look awesome, can't wait to see the progress there. I'm adding you to my fave blog links. xoxo

Unknown said...

Hi Kady!
Love to hear what others are doing in their homes. I love all your ideas for your kitchen. Sounds like a lot of work, but it will be well worth it when you get to see it all done. I too, love that norfolk pattern and touches of red. My kitchen has a French/English Country Feel..and I am ready to paint my island either a black or creamy white. But I have to get it past hubby...men just don't like painting wood! Go Figure! lol And..then hopefully some granite countertops, soon (I've only been waiting 5 years for them!)!

Can't wait to see it all done....you have a great day!

Blessings..Lorena

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Oh - big bummer on the van breaking down. Doesn't that just ruin a day! But thank God for AAA. Truely worth it!!

Love your fabrics. I have always loved that Waverly pattern and have a few things with it, too. Now you said you had the chair covers already - where did you get them? I am always looking for cute slip covers for my kitchen chairs. Bought white last year, took them off to wash and now cannot find them at all. grrr.

You have a wonderful vision for your recreation. I vote on removing the wallpaper and painting your walls a creamy white and paint your cabinets. Though I lost the vote on a white kitchen, they are by far my favorites. Keep up the great work and you will be there in no time at all.

xo
Becky

Tress said...

Good Morning,
I just love your country decorating and the gift fro ebay! I love it! I dolike the border as well-It looks like you have some pretty good ideas for your kitchen! Have a good day and I hope your car gets fixed!
Tress

CIELO said...

Good morning, Kady.... love your new vintage fabric valances... that's a great beginning for your new kitchen look.... all your ideas sound great....

Have a lovely day

cielo

Rue said...

Hi Kady :)

I'm sorry about the van :(

I think you've got a great plan for that kitchen! Before you paint the cabinets, ask Picket how she did hers. They look beautiful.

Oh and as far as the counter tops. A lot of homes that I've seen in those cottgae magazines are keeping them and they don't look bad at all when the cabinets are painted. You may end up liking them :)

Have a beautiful day,
rue

Picket said...

Hey girl...hope the van repairs don't cost you an arm and a leg! Thanks for coming by...gosh you got some great ideas for the kitchen...I think it will turn out fantastic...I too wanted the creamy cabinets..I had light oak...I kept seeing so many great kitchens on RMS where poeple painted them and I finally got brave enough to try...very scary and emotional and lots of work (went thru quiet a bit of Pepsi and fig newtons!!! lol)But I love mine! I removed all doors and hardware and I just focused on the top ones first..I did 2 coats of kiltz primer and then 3 coats of creamy white kitchen paint (oh the finish was glorious) and then I glazed them with Mocha faux finish glaze from Lowes...I had never used glaze before either..but You just brush it on like one door at a time and wipe it off easy in the same direction long strokes leaving some in the crevices and it just barely ages it and ohhhh takes it to a whole new level! I actually lived with mine just with the paint finish for a few days to see if I just wanted the cottagey look but I am toooo country for that so I went ahead and added the glaze,,,I don't regret it for a minute..you can see a peek of mine on my header...You can do this girl..believe me if I can you can! Keep those dreams going girl!!!!

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Kady I'm right there with you in switching up the kitchen a bit! I love your plans. I think the cabs will look great painted. I have an ispiration picture in my kitchen file of cream with glaze too. Ha, I must say I like your cottegy flooring as is, and I like the good old gold fleck countertops. The waverly valances you got are great, they were in one of my insp. pics as well at one time, with matching wallpaper. Oh, how I LOVE the bay. I have been too broke to shop lately tho! I look forward to your updates! You go girl!
Nikki