My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tablescape Thursday/ Golden Rhapsody setting

This is my third foray into Tablescape Thursday. This is a weekly event hostessed by the very talented Susan at Between Naps on the Porch. This week I am presenting my own tablescape.

Since I've been laid off, I have all kinds of time to do things to make my home pretty. I have always admired those women who had beautiful tables, always set with lovely dishes. My kitchen table has usually been a catch-all for our stuff. This is not a good thing. Well that has changed! It's so much easier to get my boys to avoid putting their things on the table when it is set! I came up with something I am very pleased with, and I did it on a very strict budget.


This is a pattern from Kayson's called Golden Rhapsody. I bought a set of four dishes for $.55 a piece at Goodwill. I love this pattern because it was the "good China" when I was growing up. My mother had a 12 place setting of this which was given to her by her adoptive father. He owned a Mobil gas station most of his life, and these were pieces that you could earn buying gas, if I remember correctly. It cost him practically nothing to give the whole set to my mother. Besides dishes, she also had all of the accessories. Well, now that my parents have passed, my brother asked if he could keep the set, and I had no problem with him keeping it. I found out that you can buy these at Goodwill too, and they have the pattern coming in there every so often. You know who else loves this pattern? Dot at Picket's Place!

Here is a closeup of the plates. The silverware is my everyday stuff that I have had for years.

Not long ago, I found those pretty tan placemats at Big Lots for $3 a piece. They are by Echo Point, and were originally $10 each! That's a lot, even for Big Lots. Recently they marked all of their Echo Point line down by 70%. So I splurged and got four. I also found the brown tablecloth there for $7. I had been wanting a tablecloth which would look nice in my kitchen with the ugly wallpaper and dark brown cupboards, and this really works! The pink drinking glasses were purchased from Goodwill for $.35 each.

I wish I had a set of these napkins. I found them at Pier One Imports. Years ago, I bought two of them to serve as a covering for a coffee table, and they were in a box the last couple years.

When I was unpacking, I found this pretty green teacup. I can't believe that I didn't remember owning it, and I don't remember where I got it.

You might remember this bowl from the top of my painted black end table. I bought it and the fake green apples from Pier One years ago. I had it sitting on the table as the centerpiece before I painted the end table. I put a spray of faux flowers that I had purchased from Home Interior Parties years ago at the base. Since I moved the bowl to the end table, my painted cheesboards are now serving as a centerpiece.


I never thought that I would like a brown tablecloth so much! It's going to allow me to be very versatile. I am now pining for some of the robin's egg blue plates by Echo Point which are still marked down at Big Lots. I have let my sons know that they would be a perfect Mother's Day gift! We will see if they listened. If I do get them, I can do another tablescape!

Have a great Tablescape Thursday everyone!

26 comments:

Kammy said...

Hello !
The napkins and the tea cups are my favorite ( I am a sucker for roses ! ). You did a great job on
a budget !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Justine said...

I love that shade of brown, Kady, and the place mats are sooooooooooo pretty. Ooh, I can just see robin's egg blue plates set there. It'd look sooo good!

Justine :o )

ellen b said...

Love the tea cups and those napkins!! They are calling to me...

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

You are a girl after my own heart. I love all the wonderful dishes I find at GW. Yours are real treasures since they are like the ones your mom had. I love to shop GW and Big Lots. I find some treasures at both. YOur brown tablecloth and the lovely placemats are so pretty. Your entire tablescape is just lovely. Hugs, Marty

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

Kady! I love that beautiful teacup. It is exquisite! And I am pretty sure my Grams had those dishes. They look sooo familiar. What a pretty table you have set, and I am glad it has worked its magic with your boys. :-)

I'm sorry you have not found a job yet. Hopefully soon! I will say a prayer for you. Blessings, Barb

Picket said...

Girl you did good!!!! I love the little teacup and those apples look so real! The browns will be beautiful with the blue or any color actually...greens....creams and dark browns...etc! I am so happy for you getting to play and decorate in your new place and you never know...in time your landlord may let you paint...take care sweetie and have a beautiful Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

I love your table, Kady, and the stories that came along with it! You're going to have your boys feeling like royalty! Sit down dear Princes to your dindin! :)
Now you had better be planning some things for that Stella! She's a pistol! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Neabear said...

Gasp, Kady! Did I see right? Are you getting Stella next? Woopee! Enjoyed your tablescape too!

OCDesigner ~Athella said...

Looks great! Good job! ~Athella

BittersweetPunkin said...

LOVE that!! I saw a desert plate with that same pattern on it at GW TODAY.....maybe I should run back and get it tomorrow....hmmm.

Your table looks so pretty!

Nita in South Carolina said...

I think my mom has (had?) some of those dishes! Your table setting is lovely. I'm not a fan of brown but it looks very elegant with the placemats, and maybe I should reconsider it! I wish I had those napkins - someday I'm going to have a kitchen decorated in those colors.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Pretty table and I love those rose napkins! Happy Mother's Day!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

great table! Happy Tablescape Thursday and Happy Mother's Day~ Susan

Chandy said...

You have a great tablescape using those neutrals and that wonderful china! If you don't mind sharing, who makes that?

Unknown said...

The table looks great. I love the placemats, the design is gorgeous! I think I remember those plates from somewhere in my childhood. They look familiar!

raxx a day in the life said...

Kady I love that your table is simple yet elegant, I fell in love with your brown tablecloth too! the green apples just pop against them, again you've got me wishing there was a goodwill store in my nieghborhood!

Unknown said...

SImply beautiful... love the spring green pop of color from the apples.

~Really Rainey~

Candy said...

Love the napkins and don't they just go perfectly with the cups?
Nice job.

Happy MOM day to you,
Candy

Lori said...

Kady
Today when I to my daughter Noelle's and read your come it warmed my heart! I am so much a open book and can't hide my feelings even though many think I should. i feel so blessed to have you and your friendship, compassion and understanding. It has got to get better for me, really. I so want to finish my degree and get out there and help other women in my situation. yes,that deposition wiped me out mentally beyond belief and boy oh boy did my back and knees hurt from stilling there!! I wish you a wonderful weekend my dear friend! Hopefully one day we'll get to meet! Doesn't it suck about our darn computer issues?? i still can't figure out what disc neededs to go in to reinstall whats missing there are like 12!! Love to you, Lori

Kristina P. said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog!

You have a real talent! Love the table.

bj said...

OMGosh, girl...this looks soooo pretty. And on a budget, at that.
You really did good, Kady.
Any new job tips coming your way?
I will keep praying that you find a really good one that you like..

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

My local Goodwill doesn't have anything for less than 99 cents. You did a great tablescape on a budget. My Grandma had those same plates. And I hope that your boys get you those plates you want.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Those place mats are so pretty, and the china looks great with them. The colors on this table look so soft and pretty. I hope your sons listened to you, because that would look pretty with these tan colors. Happy Mother's Day. laurie

Robin said...

Lovely tablescape......I love the soft pale colors. The simple yet lovely lily of the valley plays well with your fabulous floral tea cup, and everything flows well.
Just a suggestion....since you've only the one floral napkin, I would look for some simple white napkins, or (a much harder task) try to find 3 more floral napkins but of different patterns same colors or 3 completely different patterned napkins in the same colors (i.e., plaid, stripe and a tiny floral pattern). Doing so will look as though you intentionally meant to mix it up. If you never find any other napkins to go with your floral one, you can use it in a breakfast tray or tea tray, or wrap your wine bottle in it as presentation on / at the table.
But in the meantime, enjoy having your floral fabric napkin while the kids get paper. :-)
Have a most beautiful Mother's Day.

Linda in AZ * said...

* It's all very lovely, like I suspect YOU are! And your cup & sauceer????~~~~SOOOO PRETTTTY!!!! Kudos, kiddo! Linda in AZ *

Helen said...

Dear Kady ..... Happy, Happy Mother's Day!