My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Day

Merry Christmas! This ornament may say Happy Holidays, but it really means Merry Christmas to me and to all of you!



This year illness and, to quote my doctor, a "serious" surgery threatened to sap my Christmas joy. I was worried that I would end up having a Grinchy Christmas.


That picture is from the I Can Has Cheeseburger site.

Although we didn't go all out this year, a little bit of the Christmas spirit did manage to grace my home. My wooden Santa was placed out front, and that is all we got done as far as outside decoration. It just wouldn't be the same if my Santa wasn't standing next to my door though!


Inside, I placed only a very few decorations. Here is a prim Santa that I bought years ago either at a Country Peddler or Home and Garden party. He is on top of my pie safe.


Hanging on the door of the pie safe is a snowman pic that I put out every year.


And finally, a cute hand crafted snowman sits atop my display cabinet with my teddy bears.


The task of setting up the Christmas tree fell to my sons this year. There was some grumbling as the tree is really a pain in the butt to put together, but they did it! They added lights and youngest son put the ribbon up. I managed to put a few ornaments on. It isn't the prettiest tree and it's far from perfect, but it's up and decorated, and I'm sure enjoying it! My family room is decorated in blues, reds, and greens and those are the colors of the lights and most of the ornaments.


I've read that every Christmas tree is supposed to have a bird nest!


Here are some of my ornaments.












I almost forgot the angel tree topper. It was hard to get a good pic because the tree is about 7' tall.


A few years back, I made my own Christmas tradition of serving a breakfast casserole. What I love about it is that it is so easy to make, and you prepare it the night before, let it sit covered in the fridge all night, and then simply pop it in the oven the next morning. After presents are opened, you have a nice hot, tasty breakfast.


While I have lost the original recipe, this is how I made it. Spray Pam in the 9"x13" pan, then tear up 6 slices of bread. I include the crust, but you don't have to. Chop 8 ounces of Velveeta into the pan, spreading it about the pan evenly. Do the same with 8 ounces of cubed ham. You can buy this in the store in a nice package if you like things easy like I do. Dot a half stick of butter over the top. In a bowl, add six eggs to 4 cups of milk, mix thoroughly and add a squirt of mustard to the mix. I never add salt or pepper to anything, but most people will want to do this. Pour evenly over the other ingredients. This must sit a minimum of 4 hours, and is even better if you refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour to 75 minutes. And this is what you get!

Oh this tastes so good on Christmas morning! My kids request that I make this every Christmas and they gobble it right down.

First off, presents must be opened. Jared came downstairs wrapped in his blanket. Sean only looks half awake. Jake the dog had to get in on all the fun too.


As I am still not feeling 100%, my youngest brother decided to bring most of Christmas dinner to my house and cook it here! All I provided was a cranberry jello salad. He brought a ham that he was given at work, homemade mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, corn, biscuits, and pumpkin pie. Here he is cooking at my stove. Hey ladies, he is single! I was so blessed by my brother this year!


My kids threatened to boycott chores if I took pics of them at the table. Believe me, it was nothing fancy. Daughter Tara and her fiance were on vacation in Tennessee with her fiance's family members. They were in a cabin near Pigeon Forge and having a great time.

As for me, I had a pretty darn good Christmas after all!



Several people have asked how I am healing. I am doing pretty well. I was able to get out and do some very quick Christmas shopping on Wednesday, and also drove to the grocery store and did grocery shopping with the help of my youngest son. The latter was not my best idea as I was pretty sore. Today I am feeling great with minimal soreness. I only took pain meds the first four days I was home from the hospital. I see the doctor on the 30th, and that's when the staples (26) come out of my belly. It's a good thing I wasn't travelling this Christmas. I would probably have set off metal detectors!

I hope everyone else had a blessed Christmas day filled with family and love!

8 comments:

Tamara Jansen said...

It looks like you had a wonderful, family filled Christmas which makes it a very special time :)

Merry Christmas!

SmilingSally said...

I'm glad that you were able to "have a little Christmas" after all. This birthday party only comes once a year, right?

When those staples come out, you'll feel so much more like YOU.

Tootsie said...

I hope your 2009 is a great one...and I am happy that you got some christmas! take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kady! Oh, you look great! I'm so glad you had a wonderful Christmas and all those cute guys foaming all over you! And a brother who cooks! You had it made girl. Now when you really get better and you're not sore any more, this is what you must do...milk it for all it's worth. A little pretending and you will still get waited on! lol
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Anonymous said...

Well Kady you made it through Christmas and it was with family, that's all that counts. What a sweet brother to come over and make dinner for all of you. And the boys did a great job of decorating the tree. I hope you have a speedy recover and are ready for 2009.

Hugs,
Chris

Neabear said...

Glad to hear you are getting there. That breakfast idea sounds yummy. I need to write it down and try it. Thank you for sharing it. I am glad you had a Merry Christmas. How lucky your brother came to help with the meal.

bj said...

Oh, darlin' Kady...I so admire your sweet spirit and determination and your fabulous out-look. You ALWAYS make the best of whatever is going on and I stand up and clap for you, girl !
You are a sweetie and I am so glad you are feeling stronger. Once the staples come out, you will feel even better.
Just rest and take it easy and you'll be back to your old self in no time.
What a wonderful brother to come over and cook for you. So sweet...
love, bj

Chanda said...

Love all your christmas pics of your decor. I didn't know that about the bird nest. I'll have to do that next year for sure. The cassarole dish looks wonderful, but I am just curuious what the diced up purple stuff is? Is it tarrow root or something like that. God bless and so very nice to meet you,
Shanda