My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Icestorm!

Guess what I found outside my window on Friday morning? Ice! Lots of it! I could hear the rain pelting throughout the night, and knew that we would have a mess in the morning. My son was thrilled. School was cancelled meaning that they got an early start on Christmas break!




*Sigh* I remember sitting on that deck and in those lawn chairs just a couple months ago! I think I can take the plant off the hanger now. The geraniums look dead indeed. I can probably bring in the tiki torches too!

My neighbor's poor pine tree doesn't look so good, weighted over with all the ice. My other neighbors directly across the lane were without power for almost two days as branches broke off of their large willow tree, taking down their power lines. Thank goodness they had a generator.


Here is a closeup of my hibiscus bush covered in ice.


There is something magical that happens though when the sun begins to shine! Just look at how my tree glows!


When the sun hits the icy trees, it looks like diamonds all lit up decorating nature. Though I hate the ice, I think this is one of the most beautiful views in nature. I wish I had a better picture because it can be simply breathtaking!


Just to give you an idea of how thick the ice is, take a look at the pic below. This is not my photo. I found it in the local newspaper under the credit name of jeffstac. Beautiful!


It has been bitter cold here with some subzero temps and single digit temps. I am almost glad to have a reason not to go out in weather like this! In the meantime, I am going to enjoy watching the sun turn my trees and riverbank into glistening jewels!

17 comments:

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Ice is not.. my favorite thing. But, there is something magical about it in the morning when it covers the landscaping.
Hugs, Terrie

Deb said...

Wow! It can be beautiful if you don't have to go out in it. Gee I hope we don't get anything like that. It's cold enough here right now it's 30 and dropping.It was 19 last night. Stay warm! Deb

Bridget said...

There is nothing to compare to the beauty of an ice storm but I lived through one with no electricity for days and that was no picnic.

Rue said...

Good morning Kady :)

I think they're beautiful too, but I've only been through the one we had this year and it wasn't bad enough to do any harm in this area. I hear we're supposed to have one again today, but I need to do some Christmas food shopping, so I hope it waits. The last thing I need is to fall down with a bag of groceries in front of Waly-world LOL

I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a very blessed New Year. Thank you for being such a sweet blogging friend!

hugs,
rue

SmilingSally said...

It's pretty to look at, but I don't envy you. Stay warm.

Helen said...

Hi there Kady! I've lived in cold places the majority of my life and realize there is something about a big ice/snow storm that brings the hustle and bustle of life to a slow crawl ... not entirely a bad thing as long as you and loved ones are safe and warm.

Justine said...

It's amazing what ice on some trees and a bit of sunlight can do. Absolutely beautiful.

How are you feeling, Kady? Starting to heal?

Justine :o )

Tara said...

Kady

Wishing you and your family a wonderful holiday!

nikkicrumpet said...

ugh ICE storms are the worst. They look pretty but are oh so treacherous. So many people here lost power and some for as long as a week! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and stay safe and warm!

Anonymous said...

Evening, Kady! Oh, the ice photos are beautiful but I don't envy you trying to get around on it. How are you feeling? You know, you've made my day giving me so many compliments! Come back and do that any time. Don't you just love the crystal? Yes, it's old! My aunt was quite old when she passed away and that's been about 15 years or so and she had had this stuff forever. I'm proud to be able to use it sometimes.
Have a blessed Christmas and
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Shauna said...

Hope you have a blessed and very Merry Christmas! ♥ Hugs :) Shauna

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh Baby, it's cold outside! Great pictures! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Neabear said...

Brrr! Being in California has its advantages. We have colder than usual weather though, but not as cold as yours. Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!!

Anonymous said...

Merry christmas Kady!!! Keep warm!

xoxoxoxoxo
Donna Marie

bj said...

brrr. all that ice is making me so cold...
Merry Christmas Day to you, my friend...
love, bj

Lori said...

Kady,
ICE!!!!!! We have it everywhere! Missed Christmas midnight mass cause we had a thaw and then it all refroze! Keeping toasty inside. I want to wish you a very Mery Christmas and the best of health and tons of happiness for the New Year! Thank you for always visiting and brightening my day!
Love,Lori

Bridget said...

I hope you are having a Very Merry Christmas!
Hugs, Bridget