My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Come on up and see my etchings!

Once upon a very long time ago, I used to love to draw. I recently came upon my portfolio from high school and college, and was so excited at what I found. These are pictures I drew when I was in high school, at home in my spare time, and for a Life Drawing class I took in college. In days of old, I had planned to become an art therapist or art teacher.

Click on any of these to see a bigger version.

I drew the picture below while in high school. Our art teacher Mrs. Baughman chose several of her students to draw village landmarks, and I was chosen to draw the Wertz Hospital, which is now a private residence. These pictures were made into folders that were sold to raise money. Whatever for, I don't remember.


It was fun to see my work in print! A few years ago I went on a holidy home tour and actually toured this home. I was so excited to see my drawing framed in the front entrance!

Here is one of the best pictures I have ever drawn. It was done from a photograph of my brother, Rich.


The one below is a picture of my daughter's father Rick, also from a photograph. I drew this sometime after college.


The next picture was probably drawn while on break from college. It's a picture of a church friend named Mike. There are a lot of mistakes in this picture, but I recognized who it was right away.


We were encouraged in our classes to draw as often as possible. I was also taught to draw quickly in Life Drawing. Here is a sleepy subject, my brother's dog Woody.


My college roommate thought it would be fun to buy a guinea pig and keep it in our dorm room. She didn't realize she bought a pregnant one. We named the mother Mabel Margarita and the baby Jerry Vodka. You can tell where our brains were back in the day. The second pic is of the mommy nursing the baby.


My brother was always lying on the couch watching TV. Always. He was an easy target. Here he is lying on his belly.


And another of him reclining on the couch.


During my drawing class, we learned some other medias too such as watercolor. I drew my friend Cheryl in class one day. These are not masterpieces and we had to complete these in about 10 minutes.


I also did a watercolor of our instructor, Mr. Devlin.


The class traveled to the zoo for one fun class. We had to draw the animals very quickly, partly as an exercise in capturing the essence of the animal, and partly because the little stinkers move! We had to draw each subject in under a minute. The first is an orangutan, then there is a grizzly bear and a polar bear, and the last is a gnu.


As part of our life drawing class, we drew nude people. Yes, people actually stood butt nekkid there on a little stage and we had to draw them. That was quite unnerving at first, but I got used to it. I never did get over the embarrassment of drawing the men though because I was too shy to look at THAT part of the male models and their legs were always drawn rather foreshortened as I didn't want to keep looking in that "area." I'd probably stare quite a bit these days.

So be FOREWARNED that some of these next pics are people without clothes, but I do not in any way think they are inappropriate for this blog. A third grader would see something more explicit in an art museum.

We had to do 20-60 second sketches to practice drawing form. I really liked the way this one turned out.


Here is another 60 second sketch. It reminds me of Mattisse.


We were allowed to progress to 20 minute drawings. This next was supposed to be in a somewhat cubist manner. It only partially succeeded.


I liked this 20 minute drawing also.


And the following was my favorite from my Life Drawing class. It was from a really difficult perspective because of the angle and her reclining position. A friend of mine saw this one and titled it "Ready, Willing and Able." Hmmph! By the way, I got an A in that class.




I hope you enjoyed my little gallery. When I saw these for the first time in a decade or two, I yearned to have that part of me back again. Whatever happened to my joy of drawing? I really want to connect with the artist inside of me again.

Here's to finding that lost part of yourself that you once loved while younger!

21 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

OH MY with a talent like yours I can't believe you ever stopped drawing. It's a gift that you should be using and enjoying and letting others enjoy it too. I'm jealous...it's one of those things I always wish I could do!

Anonymous said...

Kady! How wonderfully tallented you are! Your work is just beautiful. Do you draw anymore? If you don't, maybe you should start sketching again.
Be a sweetie,
Sheli ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow Kady, those are amazing. You should definitely frame some of them and put them in your home. Maybe even sell some on Etsy.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Theresa @ Take A Sentimental Journey said...

Oh I just envy anyone that can draw! You are so talented !

Thnaks for stoppin by ,please come again.

SmilingSally said...

Hi Kady,
You are a talented lady! I wish I could draw half as well.

I'm looking forward to your BBS picture!

Bridget said...

Kady those are great. I really liked your quick sketch nudes. You should definitely start drawing again...it's only paper! I find art to be so relaxing.
Hugs, Bridget

Buffie said...

I also loved the nude sketches! Very talented woman!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness your sketches are wonderful. You have such talent and you put that aside? I agree you should get back into it if you are feeling the inclination to do so. The nude is indeed a great sketch. I would love to take classes in that and try that medium as well as watercolour.
Thank you for your comment on the Bathroom Beauty Snapshots also!
I hope you'll be participating in this challenge and please do visit back and let me know.
enjoy your day...
Judi

Deb said...

Katy, I loved viewing the pictures in your gallery and the fact that you did them yourself is wonderful. You should make a picture wall in your home with all your drawings framed. I'm sure you would enjoy that. Deb

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Kady, you are so talented! The sketches are incredible! Really!
I love them.

Justine said...

Kady, look at what you've been hiding from us! And obviously from yourself too. I've always wished I had a talent to draw.... it's such a great way to express yourself, and your drawings are wonderful! But was Mr. Devin's forehead really that huge??????????

Justine :o )

bj said...

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, GIRL...these are so wonderful I don't know what to do. Good gosh...what talent. I do so hope you will start it up again. I would eat a live zebra to be able to draw like this.....
hugs, bj

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Kady!
Oh my gosh! You are such a talented artist!! Your drawings are fabulous. Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I hope you share more in the future.
Are your kids artists also? It usually runs in the family!
Have a great week!
Hugs, Sherry

Kathy said...

You have real talent Kady, I love the Wetz Hospital in fact I love all of your drawings. Kathy

Tara said...

Kady

OK, so you are going back for art classess now right? You should!

Dawn said...

You sure do have talent. I keep telling people that I struggle with stick figures. I enjoyed looking at all of your work this morning.

take care,
Dawn

Diana Lyn said...

Lovely my dear, You missed your calling!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great day , I left you an award but I see you already have one, Oh well here it is again! LOL XO Diana Lyn

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Wonderful that you came upon your old sketchings! thanks for sharing them with us, I wish i had your talent!

Rhondi said...

Hi Kady
I hope you pick up a pencil and begin sketching again. I always enjoyed sewing, but hadn't done it, for years. When I began to make quilts it was like something came alive inside me again.
There is an artist who is dormant inside of you just waiting to be awakened and come to life again. Even if you never do anything but draw or paint for your own pleasure, you owe it to yourself to do it.
You have talent girlfriend! Go for it!
Hugs, Rhondi

Unknown said...

Kady..you are so talented...any chance you are going to pick this up again and draw? I wish I had taken more drawing and art..or even realized back then that I could..lol

I took a Fashion Illustration class at the Community collect way back when you know in the '70's...and still look at my drawing too. It's fun to see them. I also sketch out some of my paintings and am keeping them too....lots of good memories.

Thanks for sharing..its fun to see your works of art!

Blessings..Lorena

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Kady these are simply marvelous. You really should pick up that pad and pencil again!!!
You could draw me as Rose wearing the heart of the ocean, ROFL!!!!!!
Seriously, beautiful work. *APPLAUSE*