My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Nature's Bounty: My Feel-Good Day

Look what I found this weekend at a farmer's fresh produce booth in a neighboring town last Friday! I can't believe I have never visited the booth before as it had the most luscious fruits and veggies. It made my mouth water!

Just look at that tasty corn, those new red potatoes, those incredible luscious berries, those juicy peaches!



Here is a closeup of the berries. I admit that they didn't all make it home as I snatched a couple handfuls of the raspberries on my drive home.

Here are the peaches. They look as good as they smell! I like the way they look in my blue spongeware. I collect blue spongeware by the way, and this is only a small part of my collection.

Even the bag that the peaches came in looks cute! I just loved the idea of buying fresh food locally. It's home grown and hand picked. I'm trying to be more of a locavore...someone who eats locally grown foods. It just made me feel good to buy all this fresh stuff!


It was a feel-good themed weekend, I guess. I was in that town to get a blood draw. No particular reason, it had just been a couple years since I had any blood tests done.


I had found some actual photographs of blood draws, but didn't want to gross anyone out.

The weekend before I had my lovely annual "open up and say ewwww" test. You know the one I am talking about!I could have posted a pic of the actual exam, but didn't want you all to be sitting here crossing your legs.

And then on Saturday I had that test that turns your cup...
...into a saucer!
Yep, a mammogram.

So I am feeling all good now about getting these tests done. I'm trying to eat healthier and take good care of myself, and as Martha Stewart says, "It's a good thing!"

It's a good thing I had my tests done too. The female exam showed everything okay, and I am still waiting for mammogram results. My cholesterol was excellent (132 total), but the good cholesterol was low. On the other hand, my fasting blood sugar was high, so I go in for a second test this Saturday. If I am diabetic, we may be looking at some major life changes here because I want more than anything, now that I am rapidly approaching my 50s, to be really healthy. This could mean a necessity for more exercise and weight loss.

I've never been one to back down from a challenge though. Wish me luck!


17 comments:

nikkicrumpet said...

I will be thinking only good thoughts about your test results. I need to do the same thing you did...I seem to drag my feet when it comes to getting those icky tests done. You're setting a great example! Have a lovely evening!

Bridget said...

Good luck! I hope the blood sugar turns out okay. Congratulations on getting all the other tests done. you are an inspiration to me. I need to catch up, I'm a little behind on then (yes, I need THAT test too. lol)

Deb said...

Hi Kady, first of all let me say that I hope your blood sugar turns out okay. And I also wish you luck in what ever you plan to accomplish. Deb

Kathy said...

Hi Kady, Good luck from me also re the blood sugar tests, I also need to catch up, it's tough being a women sometimes. Kathy.

Raxx - A day in the life said...

Hi Kady my Jammette friend!

Ok i've stopped laughing now so i can continue typing.

It's wonderful that you had all these tests done because it is so easy to put them off, well done on staying in the know.

I hope your results are good and continue eating healthy! Love the fruit and corn on display, never had fresh berries like those before but we do import the peaches, oh to have them fresh!

TTYL
Raquel

Justine said...

What a great, positive attitude you have, knowing you may have diabetes!!!!!!!! I'm hypoglycemic, so pretty much know that some day it'll probably change over to diabetes, but still, the thought freaks me out!
I'm glad you had all your girly tests done though! My spread em and saw eww (loved that line) is in November!

Justine :o )

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Good luck on your test. I hope everything goes well.
You crack me up. I love your attitude!
And I'm so happy you're going to join next week's blog party!
Becky

Sharon said...

I think I may drop by for a wonderful fruit salad, every thing looks so good and I love this time of the year will all the fresh fruit and vegtabels I also am trying to loose a few lbs. Now after reading your post I think I will fix lunch.....

Rue said...

Hi Kady :)

I hope all your test results come back okay!

That food looks soooooo good... yum :)

Oh and I'm not so sure I will miss the mess either LOL

rue

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

That fresh produce looks wonderful! Good for you for getting all of your tests done. I do that once a year too...
Penny

Anonymous said...

Evening,Kady! Good for you getting all of those old test done. I'll be praying everything turns out good with your blood sugar. Now that wonderful fresh produce is making my mouth water!

You are so funny talking about the 'movement' thingy!!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Kady, I love fresh veggies & fruit!! The peaches I've had this year were yummy!! I am glad you're having test ran. I hope they turn out well. Hugs, Terrie

Tricia said...

I am still laughing about your post. I too need to visit the doctors very soon. I will call and make appointments tomorrow. You motivated me with the cup and saucer!

nikkicrumpet said...

Thanks for giggling at my post...I'm always afraid just before I hit that "publish" button that I'm the only one who will get a kick out of these doggie adventures. I don't know why but those two posts feel more personal than even exposing my home to everyone...weird huh? I appreciate the vote of confidence!

Christie said...

Hey Bonnie! Yum that fresh fruit looks so delicious and so pretty too in your spongeware. Good for you, that you took the time to go and get all of your health testing done...it's the first step in prevention and makes us feel better just knowing that all is okay.:) I went for my yearly about 2 weeks ago and will go for results this week. Hope you have a great weekend and I'll be back soon...Pink Saturday is right around the corner....BTW thanks for the Happy B'days to DH and for all you said sweet lady!
xoxo
Queenie!

Deb said...

Hi Kady! Yes I do plan this to be a weekly event! Deb

bj said...

Hi, sweet Kady..oh, doesn't it make you feel so good to get all those yearly tests done!! I will be sending positive thoughts your way about the sugar test.
Stay healthy,
bj