My blog dress and header has changed! As a newlywed, I am excited to present a whole new theme.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Visit to Angola, Indiana, and some new found treasures

When I went to the Parade of Homes tour, it originated in this lovely town, Angola, Indiana. I used to be within a half hour of those town, but now it takes me almost an hour and a half to drive there, but I love this place! I decided to stick around and check it out after I looked at the tour homes. I did not take the first two pics, but found them online, and the person who took them gave permission for them to be used in the public domain.


There is a courtyard in the center of the downtown area, and the road revolves around it, and yes, its a state highway! It always scare the heebie jeebies out of me to drive around it!
Here is a better view of the Civil War Memorial.
Here is the courthouse. I love the architecture of it!
See that antique shop with the purple awning? I found a couple treasures there! It was chock full of beautiful antiques.
Angola has the most quaint downtown. It's full of small town charm. They have two theaters in the downtown area. Don't they look just like something you would see in a 50's era movie?

Angola is a resort area because of having 101 lakes in the county. It seems everywhere you turn, there is a lake, and people are itching to build on those lakes! That's prime real estate!

Here is an adorable ice cream shop. I love those chairs out front and I wish I had some just like them! There is a display of cardboard 1950s cars in the window
They were having a 50% off sale in this shop. My mouth dropped when I went in because it was just the cutest shop! It had gorgeous displays all over and lots of lovely things. I could have spent mega bucks in there. I asked to take pics, but I got shut down. Well darn!
I have been really good about not buying things, but when I saw this sweet little box in a shade of green that I love, beadboard, and a pretty scroll-y top, I just had to have it, and at $17, it was a terrific bargain!
After that, I strolled over to the antique shop. I saw a lot of stuff that I liked, but nothing really grabbed me until I saw this!!! I love the berry dish.
And there were 6 of them for only $20! See how great they go with my plate from Pink Saturday!
I had spotted something else too, but there was no price tag. I have been looking for a good bargain in wicker for a long time, as I just adore wicker, but don't own any. Well now I do as I got this set for just $20! The proprietor said he didn't know if the seller wanted $40 or $20, but as he quoted me the lower price, that was what I could have them for!
Isn't this awesome? I can put the chairs together to make a settee, or separate them for two chairs!
I'm sure I can do something with these! I was so excited I was smiling all the way home! One of the best things is that I got an additional 10% off and that took care of the tax on my purchase.

All in all, Saturday was a fantastic day!


11 comments:

Christie said...

Hey Bonnie! Oh I just love that I got to see this charming town. What a treat. I love the treasures you found too. Girl, I cannot believe that you found berry bowls to match your plate. Wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

xoxo,
Queenie!

Rue said...

Wonderful finds Kady!! I love tht wicker piece :)

I'm happy your family is together again and I know you're thrilled :)

rue

Justine said...

Wow, look at the treasures you found! Lucky duck! Love those wicker chairs, and to get them that cheap is amazing!

Justine :o )

nikkicrumpet said...

what a lovely town...but what a wonderful find with those chairs...I love that you can put them together to make a settee...very unique I haven't seen that before.

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

What a charming town! And you got some wonderful buys! Can't wait to see what you do with the wicker....
Penny

Buffie said...

What a cool little town! I can't believe you found plates to go with your other one, awesome! And the wicker is really cool too...can't wait to see what you do to them!

Cindy said...

Wow, those are great deals! Those berry dishes ares so beautiful!!! I get so happy when I see other bloggers get such good deals! It's almost like I got the good deal myself!

I've seen those around and around things (I think they are called rotaries) when I was back east. We don't have those in California. If you want to see scary...you should come to a freeway in Silicon Valley during commute time! It's crazy!

SmilingSally said...

I think your touring houses posts are the best thing since sliced bread! I feel as if I've taken a mini vacation.

Thanks.

Susan Hickam said...

Anglola looks like lots of fun. Lovely teacup. Happy Pink weekend.

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Great tour of the town.... but damn woman!! I cannot beleive you found those dishes to match that friggin plate!!! How fateful is that!? LUCKY!!!
The chairs are great too. Can't wait to see what you do with them, and your new box.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love the wicker settee/chairs!! Great buy! And like you, I would have scooped up that GROW box, too - it is BEAUTIFUL!! The houses were great fun to look at - sounds like you had a fantastic time! In our general area, there is a movie theater called "The Last Strand" and it looks just like the photos you posted... We love heading there for the movies rather than the mall multi-plex... Such a great atmosphere... Donna